Today I finished the changes to FreeCAD’s CMakeLists.txt that will allow a faster, more memory efficient building process.
Today I finalized my changes to the FreeCAD distribution for Ubuntu 18.04. I submitted my patch to Launchpad as well. The relevant bugs can be found here:
After an in-person meeting with kkremitzki on 2019/07/08 we identified two more issues I could fix and add to my patch.
I am finishing up the last bit of work in order to create a patch for FreeCAD. The patch will fix an issue with the Start Workbench not working due to Qt4 no longer supporting QtWebkit.
Today I started fixing an issue with FreeCAD version 0.16 where the default workbench is not loading due to a error in a dependency. I will be tracking down the default workbench and changing it to the part workbench so that FreeCAD will not start up with an empty interface.
Today I had an in-person meeting with kkremitzki. We covered some info about packaging and sourcing specific versions of FreeCAD when building. We also covered some of my next bug fixes.
Today I’ve been discussing my next steps with my mentors. I’m reviewing the next issues I can fix and will be starting on that tomorrow.
After mentor review, my change to the science team FreeCAD repository was validated.
In my last post I talked about an error I encountered. But before I mention how I resolved that I want to mention a previous error I fixed in the wrong way.
I started the process of reproducing an error when building. I got the packaging info from the freecad-daily science team repo and made a copy of the debian folder inside the FreeCAD source.
After talking with my mentors, I feel better prepared to finish up packaging fixes I’m working on. My desktop environment is ready to be used for GPU required processes.
Today I started getting my desktop ready for Linux development. As was pointed out by my mentors, some of the issues I will be fixing will require a GPU in order to diagnose. A linux VM is unable to access the GPU directly.
Today I created a clean installation of Ubuntu 18.04 and compiled FreeCAD from source again. This was in preparation for this bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/freecad/+bug/1754084
When I was diagnosing the CMake issue with OpenCamLib I encountered some unexpected behavior when using some standard functions. Mainly the
EXISTS function for detecting if a directory or file exists.
After looking over the relevant CMake files in the OpenCamLib source, I have found an issue with building.
After sgrogan investigated the OpenCamLib issue more, it seems that there is a conflict in how OpenCamLib has defined their CMake configuration. Two CMake flags, BUILD_CXX_LIB and BUILD_PY_LIB, are causing a conflict.
For my first task I will be handling something that was brought up by sgrogan. There appears to be an installation issue when using OpenCamLib. One description of the problem can be found here:
After meeting with kkremitzki we did some diagnosing of my Debian unstable virtual machine. We found that I had not called
stow on my dotfiles!
Today sgrogan and I went over incremental builds on Windows. By turning off the FREECAD_RELEASE_PDB option in CMake I lose out on some debugging potential but I reduce my total build time.
The coding period for GSoC 2019 has officially begun.
Today I went over the packaging process with my mentors.
Today I went over gbp for FreeCAD.
I was successful in compiling FreeCAD on my Windows 10 machine. Here is the information regarding my build:
I had my first meeting for Google Summer of Code. It was between kkremitzki, sgrogan and myself.